Thursday, February 14, 2008

Notes

General
1 = comparisons
1.1 = John Wesley's Journal
1.2 = William Wordsworth's Prelude
2 = towards a framework for understanding Augustine
2.1 = William James = Varieties of Religious Experience: A Study In Human Nature
2.2 = David McClelland = The Achieving Society (1961) = we are motivated by three dominant needs, the subjective importance of which varies from individual to individual = the need for achievement, for power and for affiliation
2.3 = Maslow's hierarchy of needs (1943) = (a) Deficiency needs ( Physiological needs; Security needs; Affiliation needs; Esteem needs) and (b) Growth needs (Cognitive needs; Aesthetic needs; Self-actualization needs)
2.4 = Plato - in particular, Plato as interpreted by Plotinus

Book 1
chapter 1 = "our hearts find no peace ....." = empirical or confessional?
chapter 1 = "an ignorant person might call upon someone else instead of the right one" and "I shall look for you, Lord, by praying to you" = what is the link between knowing God and knowing what God is like?
chapter 5 "why do you mean so much to me?" (compare Book 2, chapter 2 = "I cared for nothing but to love and be loved" and Book 3, chapter 1 = "I began to look around for some object for my love, since I badly wanted to love something"; also compare his need for sex) = does this point to Augustine having a strong need for affiliation (for belonging)?
observations on infants = chapter 7 ("no man is free from sin") = chapter 7 (jealousy) and chapter 8 ("my wishes should be obeyed")
chapter 11 ("at that age I already believed in you") versus chapter 13 ("I did not love you")
chapter 16 = "we are carried away by custom ....." - is this the clue to original sin and weakness of will?

Book 2
chapter 4 = the theft of the pears = "our real pleasure consisted in doing something that was forbidden"
chapter 6 = "could I enjoy doing wrong for no other reason than that it was wrong?"
chapter 8 = "I am quite sure that I would not have done it on my own" = affiliation needs?
chapter 9 = "we are ashamed to hold back when others say Come on! Let's do it!"

Book 3
chapter 1 = "to love and to have my love returned was my heart's desire" = affiliation needs?
chapter 1 = "my love was returned and finally shackled me in the bonds of its consummation" - is this a clue to understanding the conversion described in Book 8?
chapter 4 = Cicero's Hortensius - is this his first conversion?
chapter 7 = what was the origin of evil? is the idea of a spiritual (immaterial) being nonsensical? how does one make sense of what's in the Bible? - these are also my worries!